Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Qrazy Quail Q&A

I've been receiving some Quail Questions from Qrazy Quail Keepers all around the world, so here is a quick summary. Hope it's useful! 

Q. I can't find "quail food". What do you feed them with?
A. I make my own Quality Quail Food. I use an electric coffee grinder to grind Organic Layers Pellet down to almost, but not quite powder. Then mix this with Chick Crumb, Poultry Spice and Bird Grit (for small birds, not for chickens!). 
Our quail gets dry mealworms first thing in the morning, and late afternoon.
They sometimes find earthworms etc in the plant pots I give them, so they enjoy eating those too.....
They sometimes get a cob of sweetcorn and broccoli stems.

Q. What kind of sand do you use for their sand bath?
A. I buy Play Sand from Argos or DIY shops. The sand in the bags is normally wet, so I have a special Quail Sand Frying Pan, and cook the sand until it's lovely and dry. Let it cool down, and I sometimes mix Mite Powder in the sand. I also have a special Quail Sand Sieve, to get rid of feather, straw, poo, whatever ends up in the bath. I then re-cook the old sand before returning it to the quail. 

Q. Do the quail try and escape from their house?
A. No. They seem pretty happy. We haven't had any incidents so far! 

Q. Do the quail sing often?
A. Yes they do, often in three-part harmony. They do a proper dawn chorus, and also when the sun is shining. Can be quite loud, but their songs are very nice and none of our neighbours complained.    
     
Q. How many eggs does one quail lay in a day? 
A.  One quail lays one egg a day.

Q. What are you going to do with the quail once they stop laying? 
A. We didn't really get the quail for eggs or meat, so they'll just carry on being Quail. 

World Quail Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment